I have been monitoring FIM Client on the server that performs User profile Synchronization for SharePoint 2010/2013. The FIM Client is found at this path:
..Program Files\Microsoft Office Servers\15.0\Synchronization Service\UIShell\miisclient.exe
I am trying to determine the root cause of the stopped-extension-dll-extension status shown next to the Full Imports:
I ran the SQL query against the Profile Database and noticed that there are bad URLs in the PictureUrl column for all of the users. We migrated this database from a 2010 system to this newer 2013 development farm. This brought over all of the old production links to these photos.
Running this T-SQL query on the database will output the details of the PictureUrl column:
USE [SharePoint_SA_UserProfileService_Profile] SELECT [RecordID] ,[NTName] ,[PreferredName] …
In order for Query Suggestions to fire on a query in the search box, we know that the search box settings must be set to enable query suggestions and you have to actually have query suggestions in the Search Service Application.
We had a search center that would only fire search query suggestions for privileged accounts. This is because the suggestions need this permission:
Use Remote Interfaces - Use SOAP, Web DAV, the Client Object Model or SharePoint Designer interfaces to access the Web site.Check your permission levels. READ will work, but we were using Restricted Read, which did not have the Use Remote Interfaces permission. We created a custom Restricted Read with a new name and added this permission to it and the suggestions fire properly now.
SharePoint 2013 Search Crawls Stop Crawling All Content
Recently the search system stopped successfully crawling content. ASPX pages were crawled, but no content was being indexed. Opening up the crawl log showed thousands of errors with this message: The content processing pipeline failed to process the item. (Index was out of range. Must be non-negative and less than the size of the collection. Parameter name: index; SearchID = [GUID]) Note: the resolution is in the resolution section for those who cannot or refuse to read.
What does this mean? Honestly initially it made no sense. So I learned a valuable lesson: I misguidedly spent the next 2 days trying the usual fixes like resetting the index, rebuilding the 2013 search components, and lastly what EVERYONE does: they fix it with a sledgehammer (in this case rebuilding the search service application).
But what if rebuilding the search service application is a horrible pain? We have thousands of query rules, 30 result source…
For many that are not aware, SSRS is excellent at displaying SharePoint list data. Whether in Native or SharePoint-Integrated mode, SSRS connects directly to a SharePoint site and will enumerate all the lists and libraries.
Steps: Rick-click on the chart area and choose 'Series Properties'.Click on 'Action' section.Click on 'Go to URL', and click on the Expression button.Enter this expression in this format (replace url.com with your web address):
Using the IIS URLRewrite module 2.0 to configure SharePoint to only accept requests on HTTPS (Secure) and redirect all HTTP (unsecure) requests to the HTTPS address.
1. Install URL rewrite Module 2.0 https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=7435
2. Add HTTP binding (with hostname if necessary) to the IIS site.
3. Add this to web.config of the website in IIS you want to rewrite. Just after <system.webserver>
The most difficult to start service can drive you crazy. These are some things I have encountered and how I fixed them:
The most important step is knowing how to trace while you are starting the service.
Tracing Steps: Open ULS Viewer for the farm server you are trying to start the service onOpen the Live feed from the logs. File -> Open from -> ULSFilter by: Category = User ProfilesStart the UPS Sync Service.You will begin to see eventsFor each error, there will be some research necessary. Fix the error, then re-attempt starting the service.
Error: UserProfileApplication.SynchronizeMIIS: Failed to configure MIIS post database
This was an error in a PowerShell profile that was created for All Users.
Open Windows ExplorerNavigate to: C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0Remove any file like: profile.ps1The profile is used by the UPS Sync Provisioning and a custom profile will cause a command to fail.